Monday, March 12, 2012

Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as Tools for Learning

  1. It is important to tie the technology to the objective because students need to understand that there is a purpose to the technology, and it is more than just "having fun."
  2. We should hold students accountable for the stations/centers because they need to understand that an efficient technology based classroom requires that everyone works well together. The students must understand that just because they get to work on the iPad, doesn't mean that they get to talk and "goof off" for the entire period.
  3. Thinkfinity could be very useful in my classroom. There are various activities that students can complete, and once they are finished they can print out their results and show them to me. For example, one activity guides them through an exercise on analyzing metaphors in a poem. So, it would be very easy to hold them accountable. The SBISD Interactive Databases Page is also very useful because it allows me to search by grade level and subject area. There are many useful resources that I could easily implement in my classroom.
  4. One useful app is FreeBooks. Students would be able to download thousands of books, and I could hold them accountable by having them answer open-ended questions about the book. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? Bamboo Paper also seems like it could be a useful app in my classroom. It allows students to take notes in their own handwriting, which would be much easier and faster for some of my students. I could periodically check their progress and make sure they are getting the notes written down.
  5. I could see my students using the iPad to produce group presentations. It is so difficult to get into the computer lab at our school, so the iPads offer a good alternative to that. I could purchase a connector so that the students' presentations could be viewed on the ActivBoard.

No comments:

Post a Comment